Dietzelhaus in Clausthal-Zellerfeld

The building was commissioned in 1673 by the head miner Daniel Flach. Daniel Flach was an ambitious mining official at the height of his career when, in mid-October 1672, a devastating fire destroyed more than three quarters of all the houses in Zellerfeld within a few hours - including the two churches, the town hall, the princely office building with the mint and most of the residential buildings.

Daniel Flach had the imposing new building of his house erected over the cellar vaults of two previous buildings. The imposing half-timbered building (today's Dietzelhaus) on the historic market square bears witness to the social importance of his wealthy family.

At the age of around 40, Daniel Flach had married 19-year-old Anna Magdalena Drechsler shortly before the fire. She was the daughter of the Clausthaler Zehntner (the highest local tax official) and must have received a handsome dowry. The alliance coat of arms of the two families above the door of the Dietzelhaus indicates that funds from Anna Magdalena Drechsler's fortune were also used to build and furnish the new house.

The "Tugendsaal" on the first floor can be booked for events. The Dietzelhaus is also home to the Free School of Design.